Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A Re-Introduction

The seventeenth time's the charm when it comes to having your own blog, right? I thought so.

So before I start posting again I might as well introduce what I want to do with my blog, and before I do that I should just introduce myself.

My name is Chris Gibbons. I'm a Communicative Arts student from the Metro Detroit area who currently resides in Milwaukee. I like wrestling and Detroit/University of Michigan sports and music and TV and stand-up comedy and sleeping and movies and you (probably). I want to be a journalist because I don't like making money or job security. That's probably about all you need to know.

The Gibb V17.3 brought to you by the Power of Positivity

I've used this blog to practice my writing before I started writing for other places on the internet that people actually care about. In late summer 2014, I started writing reviews for Potholes in My Blog. It was an amazing experience and I'm eternally grateful to them for giving my writing a chance. Unfortunately the site went on indefinite hiatus last spring, which really sucks. Potholes was one of the best websites on the entire internet when it came to thoughtful commentary on hip-hop and independent music. I'm not saying that because I wrote there. I was actually terrified of submitting my stuff because I associated it with such quality stuff and I was just a kid with no experience who wanted to talk about rap music. They're still the best and I wish it was still around.

Now, I'm writing about a variety of things at a few different places. I write about hip-hop (and occasionally R&B) for The Boombox, which is pretty awesome. I was able to get that opportunity from one of Potholes editors (seriously, any success I ever have in the field will probably stem from starting at that site). I also talk about the Michigan Wolverines on GBM Wolverine. Even though I've got my writing out at other places, I wanted to start this up again because I need all the practice I can get. Here's what y'all can expect me to post around here:

  • Music: I write about hip-hop/R&B over at The Boombox, but I can't cover everything I'd like to talk about. As that site focuses more on mainstream hip-hop, these will more-than-likely cover independent hip-hop, indie rock, pop and occasionally other genres that I dabble in.
  • Wrestling: I re-kindled my love of wrestling this past summer, and I really want to write about it. Most stuff I post on here will probably cover wrestling, honestly. I plan on doing weekly articles on WWE RAW, NXT all WWE PPVs, and probably Lucha Underground when that gets started again. I might cover Smackdown if it has anything worthwhile.
  • Movies or TV shows or whatever I'm watching on Netflix if I'm really inspired by, really
  • Detroit sports or maybe sports in general if there's a topic I want to discuss. Probably mostly painful discussion about why the Lions are bad and make me sad.
I guess that's about it. Tonight I'm hoping to get a recap from last Monday's RAW (man, it's a doozy) and probably something about the latest episode of NXT. Alrighty then.

No comments:

Post a Comment